Information for Visitors
Barnard College is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan between 116th and 120th Streets along the west side of Broadway. It is easily accessible by car, bus, or subway from anywhere in New York City, including the local airports.
From the Henry Hudson Parkway (West Side Highway):
- Take the 96th Street exit (either from the north or south).
- Go two blocks east to Broadway.
- Take a left turn uptown to Barnard's main gate at 117th Street.
To reach the Henry Hudson Parkway from the north:
- Take the New York Thruway (Route 87) or New England Thruway (I-95) to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Bear right as you approach the bridge and take the exit for Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the east:
- Take the Grand Central Parkway or Long Island Expressway west to the Cross Island Parkway north.
- Cross over the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the south and west:
- Take the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) north or I-80 east to the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
- Limited street parking is available in the neighborhood.
- There are parking garages in the area as well.
Four bus lines stop near campus:
The Madison Avenue M4 bus and the Broadway M104 bus:
Stops at Broadway and 116th, 118th, 120th Streets.
The Sixth Avenue M5 bus:
Stops at Riverside Drive and 119th Street.
The Amsterdam Avenue M11 bus:
Stops at Amsterdam and 118th Street.
Buses take exact change or MetroCards. Check the MTA site for fare information:
Metropolitan Transit Authority
Trains arrive at Grand Central Station (Park Avenue and 42nd Street) or Pennsylvania Station (7th Avenue and 34th Street).
We recommend that you take a taxi from the train or bus stations if you are coming to Barnard for the first time.
For more information: Amtrak
New York City is served by three major airports, LaGuardia, JFK and Newark, and several small regional airports.
From LaGuardia Airport:
- The M60 Bus runs from LaGuardia Airport to Broadway, which stops at W116th Street (near main gates of campus).
- Ask the bus driver to tell you when you reach this stop.
- This bus runs 24 hours a day.
- AirTrain connects Newark Airport to NJ Transit, PATH and Amtrak
- New Jersey Transit buses leave from Newark Airport and arrive at Port Authority every 15 minutes.
- Take a taxi or subway from there.
From John F. Kennedy Airport:
- The AirTrain travels from the airport to Sutphin Boulevard / Jamaica station.
- From there you can either transfer directly to the subway via the E line traveling to the 42nd street subway station, or take the Long Island Rail Road into Penn Station.